Org. Setting and Reporting
The Internship with the Energy Division is for a period of two to six months depending on the needs of the Division. The Energy Division is working to support member States in enhancing energy security and the sustainable use of energy through regional cooperation to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in particular the Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7): Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (37.5 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Under the general guidance of professional staffs of the Energy Division, the intern will undertake information collection, research and analysis in one or more of the following areas (candidates are requested to clearly indicate the area(s) of their interest in their applications):
1.Key energy challenges and solutions in achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in particular the three targets of SDG7 by 2030;
• Ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services
• Increase substantively the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
• Doubling the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency.
2.Good practices in mobilizing and rationalizing energy financing, prices, taxation and subsidies, as well as increasing energy affordability, promoting energy trade and energy connectivity, through policies, energy economics and innovative technologies etc.
3.Research on energy connectivity in particular power grid connectivity;
• Identification and analysis of challenges and ongoing initiatives with effective mechanisms and policies at sub-regional and regional levels.
• Preparation of analytical studies on different existing intergovernmental agreements on connectivity from other sectors.
4.Energy modelling at the country level:
• Collect and process information and data related to energy demand and supply at the country level, sub-regional and regional level
• Research national energy policies, priorities, targets and commitments, such as the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) on climate change
• Contribute to data analysis, including data entry, manipulation, and visualization in Excel
5.Economic analysis of access to electricity and clean cooking;
• Collect and process information and data related to energy access and its socio-economic benefits
• Research and analyse econometric analyses of the impacts of energy access
• Contribute to analysis of current policies and stakeholders influencing energy access
• Contribute to data entry and data visualization in Excel.
6.Research on the role of natural gas in achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 7 and the Paris Agreement; social, economic, and environmental impacts of expanding the use of natural gas, in particular LNG, in the regional fuel mix.
7.Integrated urban solutions for low-carbon cities to accelerate progress on SDG7 and SDG13:
• Collect and analyse information on urban low-carbon best-practices, their pre-conditions and success factors
• Collect data for several cities in ASEAN across certain indicators linked to achievement of SDG7 and SDG13
• Contribute to the data analysis, visualisation of the research results and report writing
8.Applications of blockchain technology in the field of sustainable energy
• Collect and analyse information on case studies for applications of blockchain under each of the pillars of SDG7 (energy access, energy efficiency, renewable energy)
• Analyse trends and context important for this area in Asia and the Pacific
• Under the supervision write a paper on the potential of blockchain for achievement of SDG7 and any other related SDGs.