Org. Setting and Reporting
These positions are located in the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), Regional Office for South East Asia in Bangkok, Thailand. The incumbents report to the Head of the Myanmar team based in Bangkok.
Within delegated authority, the Human Rights Officers will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists countries in promoting respect for human rights, and Governments in identifying and specifying their needs for advisory services and technical cooperation, including by ensuring the preparation and conduct of assessment missions
• Participates in negotiations aimed at concluding technical cooperation agreements, prepares respective country projects and acts as the project manager
• Liaises with UN country teams, supports the mainstreaming of human rights in the UN Common Country Assessment (CCA) and United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), and prepares Country Status notes for the countries under his/her responsibility
• Provides information to the treaty bodies on the human rights situation of the countries under his/her responsibility
• Systematically collects and analyses all information regarding the human rights situation in the countries of his/her responsibility and prepares reports, documents and other written materials thereon
• Responds to requests for information relating to the human rights situation in the countries under his/her responsibility
• Supports the work of the country Special Rapporteurs/Representatives/Experts/Working Groups, including by ensuring the preparation and conduct of field missions and timely submission of reports
• Liaises closely with the Special Procedures Branch and other Branches and the Office of the High Commissioner
• Coordinates with the relevant units in processing individual cases of alleged violations under thematic mechanisms, including under the urgent appeal procedure
• Supports and ensures backstopping to field presences and contributes to their effective functioning
• Raises awareness and promote specialized knowledge about human rights
• Distributes materials related to human rights education to Governments, educational and national institutions and assists in the adaption of the materials to the countries concerned
• Maintains an awareness of human rights educational and information activities in the countries concerned, plans, implements and evaluates training courses, seminars and workshops; Liaises with the thematic sections and other geographic sections within FOTCD as well as other Divisions of OHCHR on key human rights issues in the region.
• Performs other related duties as required.