Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Codification Division of the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA). The Legal Officer reports to Senior Legal Officer and the Director of the Codification Division.
Within delegated authority and depending on location, the Associate Legal Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
• Conducts legal research on a diverse range of assigned issues in international law and other area(s) of specialization using multiple research sources; selects relevant material, analyzes information and presents findings for internal review;
• Assists Legal Officers in the review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities and inconsistencies, etc.; Facilitates at least one four week training programme in international law away from Headquarters under the Programme of Assistance in the Teaching, Study, Dissemination and Wider Appreciation of International Law, and assists in its preparation and organization, including proposing and inviting lecturers, logistical and administrative arrangements (i.e. procurement, delegation of authority), updating training materials, completing relevant reports, drafting relevant cooperation arrangements, delivering presentations during the programme, and selecting participants. • Assists in the preparation of drafts of background papers, studies, reports, etc.;
• Assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of international public issues, including the United Nations Charter, General Assembly resolutions and decisions involving, inter alia, issues relating to privileges and immunities, peace and security, institutional questions, treaty law and practice, procedural issues arising during meetings of
United Nations organs, constitutional law of the Organization;
• Assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with governments, NGOs and other public and private entities;
• Assists Legal Officers in servicing diplomatic conferences, commissions, committees and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, etc.;
• Performs other duties as assigned.