Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Field Operations Financing Division in the Office of Programme Planning, Finance and Budget in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Section.
The Field Operations Financing Division supports the Controller in exercising accountability for the financial resources made available by the Member States for peacekeeping operations and special political missions, with a currently approved annual budget of approximately US$7 billion.
The Division is committed to an ongoing change process to ensure the highest effectiveness and efficiency standards in budget preparation and presentation including the mainstreaming of results-based budgeting. The working environment of peacekeeping operations is dynamic, and the team is committed to meeting the corresponding demands. The main partners of the Division are the peacekeeping operations, the Department of Peace Operations, the Department of Operational Support, the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, the legislative bodies and troop- and uniformed police-contributing countries.
Under the guidance of the Section Chief, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Reviews and analyses data with respect to the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from (a) Departments/offices at Headquarters and in the field, including programmatic aspects; and (b) small to medium-sized peacekeeping operations.
• Analyses budget submissions, obtains clarifications and justifications.
• Prepares budget and budget performance reports for a small to medium-sized and complex peacekeeping operations as well as backstopping activities.
• Prepares financial implications for Secretary-General's reports to the Security Council.
• Prepares the supplementary information and supports the Director and the Section Chief in presentation of the budget proposals and budget performance reports to the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions and to the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly.
• Administers and monitors related trust funds.
• Prepares allotments, staffing table authorizations and redeployments of funds.
• Analyses and monitors budget implementation.
• Drafts official correspondence and background papers, including briefings for senior management.
• Conducts research and prepares communication to member states on financial issues.
• The incumbent may be requested to perform other related duties, including those related to management of the Office of the Director, support to the Director in the consideration of all matters requiring his/her attention; drafting of talking points, papers, briefing notes and special financing reports; undertaking research and analysis and providing assistance to the Director on financial aspects of trust funds and human resources issues in the Division, as well as other tasks.
Click the button below to see the original job advertisement on the organization’s career page. You will get additional requirements and application details.