Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Video Section of the News and Content Branch (NCB) in the News and Media Division (NMD) of the Department of Global Communications (DGC). The Section produces a variety of video products about the work of the United Nations at headquarters and in the field. The incumbent reports to the Chief of Section.
Within delegated authority and depending on location, the Public Information Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
• Ensures implementation of information programs to publicize priority issues and/or major events, to include drafting information strategies, coordinating efforts, monitoring and
reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up action, and analyzing the outcome.
• Monitors and analyzes current events, public opinion and press, identifies issues and trends, and advises management on appropriate action/responses.
• Managing a team of video producers delivering daily video news coverage of activities across the UN system to global broadcasters.
• Writes the content of video scripts for news and features; shoots and edits high quality, fast-paced short news packages for use in multimedia digital platforms and social media;
• Oversees the distribution of video materials; ensures the good management of the film/video archives, and the proper safekeeping/preservation of historical visual materials,
and supervises UNifeed staff; works closely with in-house IT services and engineers for problem-solving, as well as ongoing improvement efforts;
• Undertakes activities to promote media coverage (e.g. press conferences, interviews) of priority issues and/or major events, to include development of action plan, initiating proactive
media outreach efforts, proposing and arranging media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information
requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage.
• Produces or oversees production of broadcast audio visual communications products to include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and
target audience, preparing production plans, writing drafts, obtaining clearances and finalizing texts, editing copy.
• Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of reports.
• Initiates and sustains professional relationships with key constituencies.
• Acts as focal point on specific issues, monitoring and reporting on developments, responding to inquiries, etc.
Click the button below to see the original job advertisement on the organization’s career page. You will get additional requirements and application details.