Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Weapons of Mass Destruction Branch, Office for Disarmament Affairs (ODA) in New York. The position is established in connection with a project to continue work of the ODA to enhance the level of preparedness of the Secretary-General’s Mechanism (SGM) for the investigation, in response to requests from Member States, into alleged use of chemical, biological and toxin weapon, in accordance with authority given to the Secretary-General by General Assembly resolution 42/37 C of 1987. The Programme Officer reports to the Senior Programme Management Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Gathers, selects and analyses information contained in communications and publications received from different sources, including the press.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues, in general, and in particular as they affect the countries and thematic mandates for which the staff member is responsible.
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of assignment and provides inputs on issues to senior officials and colleagues in missions and elsewhere in the Secretariat.
- Monitors national and regional level political developments, and provides advice in the area of assignment.
- Provides technical and substantive back up in the implementation of mandates of the office, branch or unit.
- Performs assignments, in collaboration with the relevant UN departments and officers, as well as with partner organizations, by planning facilitating workshops and training activities to ensure experts placed on the SGM roster are adequately trained and prepared for the anticipated tasks.
- Monitors actions taken by intergovernmental groups, UN organisations, government and non-governmental organizations.
- Participates in provision of secretariat services to Security Council, General Assembly, subsidiary organizations, negotiating bodies, conferences, meetings, and /or special missions.
- Prepares meetings of the SG/DSG/USG with officials from countries under the Organization's purview.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Click the button below to see the original job advertisement on the organization’s career page. You will get additional requirements and application details.