Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Safety and Security (DSS) is responsible for providing leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the security programmes and activities of the United Nations System.
The advertised position is located in the Middle East and North Africa Section (MENA) which is within the Division of Regional Operations (DRO) of the Department of Safety and Security. The Division of Regional Operations (DRO) serves as the safety and security focal point for the field duty stations, providing primary operational and technical support. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Section, MENA.
For more information on the Department, visit: https://www.un.org/undss/
Within delegated authority, the Security Coordination Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
• Prepares, reviews, approves or endorses security planning and security management documents for the mission, designated county or geographic area, including all aspects related to elaboration, development, implementation and updating of the documents.
• Monitor, research, and assess all factors on the state of UN security in the assigned geographic region.
• Monitors activities related to the implementation of the approved security measures.
• Maintains and enhances lines of communication with United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) entities, including agencies funds and programmes and security focal
• Contributes to implementation and evaluation of the preparedness and compliance of the security measures as decided by the United Nations Security Management Team.
• Conducts security surveys and assessments.
• Ensures implementation of safety and security policies of the UNSMS.
• Maintains cooperation and collaborations with authorities and international institutions, provides security briefing, advice and security training to UNSMS personnel and operational partners of the United Nations (such as entities under Saving Life Together framework).
• Provides support to UNSMS organizations in the establishment and maintenance of a functioning Emergency Communication System.
• Conducts facts finding related to security-related incidents involving UN staff members, project personnel or eligible dependents.
• Assists in the response to crisis events and security incidents.
• Facilitates the coordination of Close Protection (CP) security arrangements between field duty stations and headquarters.
• Reviews and/or approves and/or endorses security planning and security management documents.
• Participates in security missions such as inter agency missions, Integrated Task Forces (ITF) missions, Technical Assessment Missions (TAM), Non-Aligned Members (NAM) missions, Security Assessment visits, Fact-finding missions/inquiries.
• Identifies and promotes best practices.
• Performs other relevant duties as required.
Click the button below to see the original job advertisement on the organization’s career page. You will get additional requirements and application details.