Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
In Asia Pacific, UNEP operates through its Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific to implement the organization’s mandate in the region and works to support prosperity, build resilience and boost resource efficiency by initiating, coordinating and catalyzing regional and sub-regional cooperation. The focus of this job is the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of two projects on climate-smart rice production in Myanmar, Pakistan and Thailand, as well as providing technical and institutional support to the Sustainable Rice Platform (SRP).
This position is based in UNEP, Asia and the Pacific Office in Bangkok. Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the the direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned projects, namely the Climate Smart Rice project in Myanmar, and the project entitled, “Promoting Global Best Practices and Scaling of Low Emissions Technologies by Engaging the Private and Public Sector in the Paddy Rice sector” in Pakistan and Thailand; monitors and analyzes project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Supports both technically and administratively UNEP’s role as a co-convener and host of the SRP; provides input and support to UNEP senior management in preparation of inputs to key meetings and events related to sustainable rice production.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources on climate-smart rice.
• Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies on climate-smart rice.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, and inputs to the Asia and the Pacific Office’s reporting of results towards relevant Programme of Work outputs, as well as to the UN Resident Coordinator’s Offices and UN Country Teams, etc.
• Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc. on climate smart rice; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc., relating particularly to the projects.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other duties as required.
Interested candidates can obtain a list of advice and practical tools compiled into a step-by-step guide. It is aimed at helping candidates improve their CV drafting skills and increase their chances of success when applying to the position.