Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Security Section of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) with duty station in Bamako. Under the general supervision of the Principal Security Adviser (PSA), the incumbent reports to the Deputy Principal Security Adviser.
Within delegated authority, the Security Coordination Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Prepares draft of security plan for the Mission, designated county or geographic area, including all aspects related to elaboration, development, implementation and updating of the plan.
• Maintains continuing lines of communication with security focal points and all other agencies involved in peacekeeping and other missions to ensure maximum security coordination.
• Serves as a member of the United Nations Security Management Team, contributing to implementation and evaluation of the effectiveness of the security plan.
• Assesses prevailing local security conditions, identifying security trends and advising UN staff, project personnel on potential security problems, such as mines, kidnapping, armed attacks, arrest and detention.
• Maintains an ongoing evaluation of air, land and sea evacuation routes and resources for use in emergencies, ensuring the availability of vehicles, aircraft, vessels, fuel supply and assessable roads.
• Ensures that fire detection devices and fire-fighting equipment are available on the premises. Maintains fire evacuation plan and conducts fire drills and training as necessary.
• Maintains office security by conducting physical security inspections of facilities, issuance of identity cards, if possible, background checks, and entry control.
• Provides advice and training to staff on residential security measures such as window guards, alarm systems and locks to minimize burglar intrusions.
• Maintains dialog with authorities and international institutions such as Red Cross/Red Crescent in the event of natural disasters.
• Ensures availability of emergency communications system by making periodic checks to determine if system is functioning properly; arranges for necessary repairs or adjustments.
• Investigates accidents involving UN vehicles and prepares report of findings.
• Investigates security-related incidents involving UN staff members, project personnel.
• Assumes responsibility for guard force management.
• Maintains protection detail for senior officials as necessary.
• Conducts security training in such subjects as the security management system, responsibilities of Area Coordinators and Wardens and personal security awareness.
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
Interested candidates can obtain a list of advice and practical tools compiled into a step-by-step guide. It is aimed at helping candidates improve their CV drafting skills and increase their chances of success when applying to the position.