Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Middle East Division (MED), Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations (DPPA-DPO) at Headquarters in New York.
For the post advertised, the Political Affairs Officer will serve as Desk Officer in the Middle East Team within the Middle East Division of DPPA-DPO. The incumbent will report directly to the Team Leader of the Middle East Team, under the general supervision of the Director and Deputy Director of MED.
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Gathers, selects and analyses information relevant to the countries in the Team’s purview (Israel, Palestine, Jordan).
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues in the Middle East, and in particular as they affect countries in the Team’s purview and thematic mandates for which the staff member is responsible.
• Monitors and analyses national and regional level political and other developments with a view to providing advice to the Director and Deputy Director of MED, ASG for the Middle East and Asia Pacific and/or the Under-Secretaries-General for Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations as well as Resident Coordinators and UN agencies on the ground, as appropriate.
• Contributes to the drafting of reports, notes, background papers, talking points, code cables, speeches and other correspondence for senior UN officials, as required.
• Maintains contacts with other teams within the Middle East Division and other DPPA-DPO divisions; other UN departments, agencies, funds and programmes, including through Integrated Task Forces; other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters, as appropriate.
• Monitors actions taken regarding Middle East Team countries (Israel, Palestine and Jordan) by intergovernmental groups, UN entities, governments and non-governmental organizations.
• Participates in fact-finding and other missions to countries within assigned area of responsibility, as required.
• Prepares meetings of the SG/DSG/USG with officials from countries under the Organization's purview.
• Contributes as required to reports of the Secretary-General and UN official reports, analytical papers, talking points, speeches and other correspondence.
• Provides political, substantive and operational backstopping support to UNSCO.
• Participates in the preparation of the budget proposals for UNSCO, including preparation, development and management of extra-budgetary projects for these missions.
• Manages extra-budgetary projects for ad-hoc initiatives linking DPA and the UN system on issues of common interest in the region.
• Supports the Middle East Team’s responsibilities, including as a back-up, and performs other related duties as required.