Org. Setting and Reporting
The Statistics Division Civil Registration and Vital Statistics internship is for at least two months with an opportunity for extension up to 6 months, if required by the division.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (37.5 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The ESCAP Statistics Division is guided by the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities, and by the work programme and the membership of ESCAP. Our mandates arise from a number of General Assembly, ECOSOC and ESCAP resolutions.
The core areas of the Division's work include implementing programmes for capacity building in statistics; collecting and analysing data on the region; and publishing statistical and analytical publications. We work closely with the ESCAP Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific and organizations that are part of national statistics systems in the region (national statistical offices are our main counterparts); the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs; other United Nations entities; and with a large number of regional and international organizations that have a mandate in statistics.
The work on Civil Registration and Vital Statistics supports the implementation of resolution 71/14 on the Asia and Pacific Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Decade, 2015-2024 adopted by members and associate members of ESCAP in 2015.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following.
Within delegated authority, the duties of the incumbent may include the following:
1. Support work on management of the regional initiative, including assistance with programme monitoring and evaluation and other tasks as required.
2. Undertake review of literature on theoretical frameworks, indicators and country practices.
3. Contribute to the drafting of research papers and technical documents.
4. Participate in the substantive servicing of regional steering group meetings, expert group meetings, seminars and training workshops.
5. Support communication activities to support the regional initiative, including the further development of the www.getinthepicture.org website.
6. Support the organization of the Ministerial Conference on CRVS to be held in 2020
7. Perform other tasks as required.