Org. Setting and Reporting
The internship is located in the Press and External Relations Section, Information Service, Department of Global Communications (DGC), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG).
The internship is for a minimum duration of three (3) months and can be extended up to six (6) months depending on the needs of the service.
The internship is unpaid and fulltime and interns work five days per week (40 hours). Under the supervision of the Press Officer in charge of social media. The work will focus on researching and preparing written and multimedia content for the flagship @UNGeneva accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Under the primary supervision of the Press Officer in charge of social media, the Social Media Intern's duties will include the following:
- Use the UNIS Trello Boards to plan content ahead of time, maintain and update weekly editorial calendars, collect and collate multimedia information from different departments and organizations;
- Monitor various sources for new content and information about what is happening in and around the UN on a given week;
- Edit and subtitle news videos for UN Geneva social media channels, using dedicated software (Adobe Premiere Pro); create visuals, quote cards and other materials as requested using online tools (such as Canva or Adobe Photoshop);
- Attend press conferences and events at UN Geneva to gather quotes and take photos and videos which can be used in social media posts;
- Take photographs or make short videos at UN Geneva and beyond;
- Draft posts for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as requested;
- Research trends and interesting posts from partners and suggest retweets/regrams; monitor the social media accounts for followers' comments and questions, and flag them to the Press Officer as needed;
- Take an active role in the live coverage of events;
- Draft monthly statistics reports reflecting performance of the @UNGeneva social media accounts, and fill in monthly reporting forms for DG Dashboard;
- Attend biweekly press briefings with other UNIS interns; prepare at least one summary of the briefing and receive feedback;
- Attend at least two full-day meetings of human rights treaty bodies or the Human Rights Council; prepare at least one press releases and receive feedback;
- Contribute to the daily media monitoring of Swiss newspapers (in French, German, Italian and English), with other UNIS interns;
- Carry out other tasks as requested by the United Nations Information Service.