Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Hindi Unit, News and Media Division (NMD) of the Department of Global Communications (DGC). The News Section produces daily news and feature stories, magazines programmes, special series and creates audio content using live and recorded audio from meetings and events, and multimedia pieces for the UN News digital platform, incorporating audio and video elements, as well as social media content. Through these products UN News provide daily and weekly content in eight (8) languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Spanish, Russian, Kiswahili, and Portuguese). The Incumbent reports to the Chief of the News Section 1.
This is a project-based position that is available as soon as possible for a period of twelve months with the possibility of extension. Any further extension is dependent upon the extension of mandate and the availability of funds.
The appointment or assignment and renewal thereof are subject to the availability of the post or funds, budgetary approval or extension of the mandate.
Within delegated authority and depending on location, the Public Information Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
• Monitors and analyzes current events, public opinion and press, identifies issues and trends, and advises management on appropriate action/responses.
• Carries out and undertakes activities to promote media coverage (e.g. major conferences, events, campaigns, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major events, to include development of a media strategy and action plan, initiating pro-active media outreach efforts, proposing and arranging press conferences/media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage.
• Produces or oversees production of a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.) of information communications products (news stories, multimedia feature materials on UN activities system wide for posting on the UN News websites in relevant language, covering the global activities of the United Nations, in keeping with editorial guidelines; conducts interviews, gathering audio and video material, undertaking digital editing and programming, podcasts and feature stories; ensures timely and accurate coverage of key United Nations developments at Headquarters and around the world, including through regular weekend duty shifts and evenings as needed; prepares content for sharing across news platforms, and that it is social media friendly for social media dissemination and helps implement strategies to build audiences across diverse demographics) to include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience, writing drafts, obtaining clearances and finalizing texts, editing copy, and posting on UN News websites and related social media websites for distribution.
• Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of articles for inclusion in UN News websites.
• Initiates and sustains professional relationships with key constituencies.
• Acts as focal point on specific issues, monitoring and reporting on developments, responding to inquiries, etc.
• Participates in selecting the information transmitted to key constituencies.
• Keeps abreast of latest developments in multimedia production, technological innovations and marketing techniques in the online, radio broadcast and social media industries and ensures the successful application to the productions in the relevant language unit.