Org. Setting and Reporting
These two positions advertised are located in the Mediation Support Unit (MSU) and in the Policy Planning Unit (PPU) of the Policy and Mediation Division (PMD), Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) at Headquarters in New York.
MSU serves as a system-wide resource that assists the mediation and dialogue initiatives of the UN and provides technical and operational support of mediation and dialogue processes; capacity-building; and mediation guidance, lessons learned and comparative analysis.
PPU is responsible for a wide range of functions related to policy analysis, development and implementation on cross-cutting peace and security issues and emerging questions relevant to the work of the Department.
The incumbent of each position will report to the Team Leader of each Unit.
Within delegated authority, the incumbents will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides policy guidance to leadership and/or technical support to on-going and/or future dialogue and peace processes; including through identification of issues that influence UN policies, expertise, sharing of relevant advice, comparative analysis and the development of policy related or mediation support strategies.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues, in general, and in particular in relation to conflict prevention and peacemaking.
• Represents DPPA in coordination bodies and fora inside and outside the UN system, including inter-agency taskforces.
• Drafts key reports, analytical notes, background papers, talking points, speeches and other correspondence for senior UN officials.
• Acts as focal point on priority cross-cutting areas and assists in the formulation of advice and strategy for the Department, particularly in relation to new and emerging threats and challenges to peace and security.
• Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of assignment and provides inputs on issues to senior officials and colleagues in missions and elsewhere in the Secretariat.
• Monitors national and regional level political developments and provides advice to field mission/UN agencies active on the ground.
• Provides technical and substantive back up in the implementation of mandates of the Policy and Mediation Division.
• Maintains contacts with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters.
• Monitors actions dialogue initiatives and/or new policy related concepts undertaken by intergovernmental groups, UN organizations, government and non-governmental organizations.
• Undertakes after-action reviews and lessons learnt studies and contributes to the development of policy, guidance and training material on conflict prevention and/or mediation.
• Selects, classifies and stores in computerised databases information relating to potential disputes and mediation or policy related initiatives, including tracking of peace agreements and categorization in the website/digital platform.
• Participates in fact-finding and other missions to the field to assist in the planning of conflict prevention, mediation and/or peace and security strategies.
• Participates in provision of secretariat services to Security Council, General Assembly, subsidiary organizations, negotiating bodies, conferences, meetings, and /or special missions.
• Prepares meetings of the SG/DSG/USG with officials from countries under the Organization's purview.
• Performs other related duties as required by the Policy and Mediation Division.