Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Programme Office in Gabon (POGAB), with duty station Libreville, operating under the Regional Office for West and Central Africa (ROSEN) of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in Dakar, Senegal, with extensive and frequent travels to multiple locations in the region. The Programme Officer will work under the overall supervision of the UNODC Programme Coordinator (Combating Wildlife and Forest Crime) in Gabon and the strategic and technical guidance of the Vienna-based Chief of the Global Programme for Combating Wildlife and Forest Crime.
For more information on UNODC, please visit the following website: www.unodc.org
The focus of this position is to provide support to the implementation of the UNODC Global Programme for Combating Wildlife and Forest Crime in Central Africa with the funding contributions from Belgium, EU, France, USA, the Peacebuilding Fund, and other donors and to expand the portfolio toward a sustainable programme implementation in the region.
Within assigned authority and in full coherence with the other projects/programmes implemented in the region, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
• Support the implementation of UNODC Global Programme for Combating Wildlife and Forest Crime, in particular the EU grant and expand the implementation in Central African region by supporting the partnerships building, developing workplans and supporting the Programme Coordinator in the achievement of targets and programme results.
• Develop workplans and support the full implementation of the assigned activities. Monitor the implementation of projects and regularly inform the Programme Coordinator of any challenges that may arise in the implementation.
• Support the financial and procurement implementation of the activities and provide backstopping for the identification of experts to support the programme implementation, budget tracking and monitoring progress of implementation. Set priorities and establish deadlines, standards and targets.
• Support the Programme Coordinator in the delivery of results, address bottlenecks and assure the financial delivery of the programme. Evaluate the progress of ongoing programme activities in order to ensure timely submission of quality project documents and revisions. Provide support in quality project-, programme-, financial-, administrative-, and institutional reporting in consultation with relevant team members and partners.
• Ensure effective financial tracking and monitoring in line with UNODC and EU requirements.
• Provide substantive support to the programme development, identify further funding opportunities and support the development of quality proposals in consultation with ROSEN and the Chief of the Global Programme.
• Work closely with ROSEN and other organizational entities of UNODC on the identification of funding needs, priorities and sources to ensure coherence and to be part in the development of a comprehensive programme for the region. Support the preparation of materials and participate in donor meetings and fund-raising missions and activities, as required.
• Keep abreast of social, economic and political developments in the regions involved in WLFC. Assist in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparations of evaluations or other relevant studies.
• Undertake technical missions to support the implementation of assigned activities.
• Identify new areas for programme development and support the drafting of programme concept notes and ideas and programme documents as required.
• Support the drafting of briefing papers and presentations concerning the Programme’s work for the Executive Director, managers, donors and others as required.
• Monitor and evaluate the performance of designated staff and provide regular feedback and guidance.
• Participate in the recruitment of national project staff and consultants and provide the necessary support to the Programme Coordinator.
• Perform other work-related duties as required.