Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the UNODC Global Programme against Money Laundering, Proceeds of Crime and the Financing of Terrorism (GPML), of the Cybercrime and Anti-Money Laundering Section (CMLS), Organized Crime and Illicit Trafficking Branch (OCB), Division for Treaty Affairs (DTA), in Vienna, Austria. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Head of GPML, and the overall guidance of the Chief of CMLS. The Representative of the Country Office in Afghanistan will act as an Additional Reporting Officer. The incumbent will undertake missions to Afghanistan and globally as required.
For more information on UNODC please visit www.unodc.org
The incumbent will perform the following specific duties:
• Work closely with Member States in Afghanistan and the Middle East, North Africa region (MENA), and other regions as required to develop and deliver technical assistance, mentoring and training to national agencies in areas of illicit financial flows and AML/CFT law enforcement, prosecutions, financial investigations, criminal asset forfeiture, capacity building for financial intelligence units, and cooperation with the private and NGO sectors.
• Participate in awareness-raising and needs assessment activities related to illicit financial flows and AML/CFT, including missions to Member States; review existing legal, regulatory, and law enforcement capacity in States and draft reports with recommended actions, in cooperation with national counterparts, on technical assistance needs in order to assist in their implementation of international standards related to AML/CFT.
• Undertake outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc. related to illicit financial flows and AML/CFT; make presentations on assigned topics/activities; provide guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties. Specific focuses will include managing training in implementation of sanctions pursuant to UNSCRs 1267,1988 and 1373, and international cooperation in relation to AML/CFT.
• Develop and deliver professional development/accreditation systems for AML/CFT practitioners.
• Work in close cooperation with the GPML P-4 Programme Officer (focal point for Counter Terrorist Financing), Terrorism Prevention Branch and with the AML/CFT Adviser in Afghanistan and UNODC staff in the Middle East; backstop mentors; participate in meetings of the MENAFATF, APG, and other regional bodies as necessary.
• Monitor and review best practices, methodologies and programmes in areas related to illicit financial flows and AML/CFT and contribute to their promotion among Member States.
• Provide substantive inputs to reports to the Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND), the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ), and other legislative and technical bodies.
• Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned AML/CFT-related programmes/projects, etc. Participate in fundraising and meetings/briefings with donors. As requested, attend policy-making and technical meetings to monitor and analyze events and discussions.
• Monitor the expenditures and utilization of funds in the assigned areas of responsibility; draft parts of or contribute to the preparation of the necessary programme or project documents and reports, such as progress reports, work plans, programme budget, programme performance reports, etc.
• Perform other work-related duties as required.