Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is in the Field Operations and Technical Cooperation Division (FOTCD) of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), in New York. The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the Chief of the Peace Missions Support Section (PMSS) and direct supervision of the Unit Team Leader.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of the Peace Missions Support Section and the direct supervision of the unit team leader, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Supports the integration of human rights in UN peace operations;
• Conducts substantive research and analysis of human rights issues/events and assesses their impact on the human rights situation in assigned region or country;
• Provides input to policy and guidance relevant to human rights components in peace missions, including on protection of civilians, human rights due diligence on UN support to non-UN forces, sexual violence in conflict and peace building and assists in documenting best practices and lessons learned;
• Collects and analyses human rights data and indicators in the mission areas;
• Facilitates information sharing among human rights components of peace operations, including through organizing and participating in coordination meetings on developments affecting human rights components in peace operations, the drafting of a monthly bulletin, and the liaison with other UN partners such as the Department of Peace Operations (DPO), Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) and the Department of Operational Support (DOS);
• Evaluates requirements, plans and supports established human rights components and supports the conceptualisation and planning of new operations, as well as mandate revisions and mission transitions;
• Facilitates strategic engagement on Human Rights in peace operations with various stakeholders;
• Participates in the organization of regular meetings of heads of human rights components;
• Supports Geographic Desk Officers in responding to requests for substantive assistance and operational support to human rights components of peace missions including through the review of public reporting by human rights components and adherence to relevant policies;
• Contributes to the identification and vetting of human rights staff for peace operations, as required;
• Assists in ensuring the integration of gender perspectives and attention to specific women/girls' rights issues within the work of human rights components of peace operations and the Peace Missions Support Section;
• Keeps abreast of developments in the peace and security agenda;
• Performs other related duties as required.