Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located within the Mitrovica Regional Office (MRO) of the United Nations Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK). Mitrovica is classified as a "B" duty station and a family duty station. The Civil Affairs Officer reports to the Head of the MRO.
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Political Analysis and Advice
- Identify, analyze and monitor political developments, trends and emerging issues in the region, according to UNMIK mandate, including monitoring and analyzing the progress related to trust-building.
- Assess implications and make recommendations to senior management on possible policies, strategies and other measures to address issues of concern and to advance mandated objectives.
Reporting and Information Management
- Prepare draft summary and analytical reports including, but not limited to, situation reports, briefing notes, option papers, code cables and input for the reports of the Secretary-General to the Security Council, General Assembly or other bodies.
-Establish a monitoring and evaluation framework to evaluate impact of local trust-building initiatives.
- Prepare contextual information materials, such as background notes, political profiles and databases of relevance to the assigned portfolio; Manage information to ensure its accessibility and utility.
Planning, Coordination and Facilitation
-Support relationships with UN Common System colleagues and counterparts, Government representatives, local officials, civil society actors, academic and research institutions, and other local and international partners on information-sharing, policy and coordination matters.
- Consult and cooperate with partners to develop strategies and plans of action to address political challenges, in pursuit of shared objectives; Monitor, evaluate and report on implementation of UNMIK’s mandate.
- Support preparations for official meetings, events and visits, including through drafting talking points and background papers; Participate in fact-finding –and other missions; Prepare written summaries of meetings/visits and assist with follow-up activities, as appropriate.
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of the unit’s programme of work.
- Support planning and budgetary processes for current and future field operations as required.