Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Human Rights Council and Treaty Mechanisms Division (HRCTMD) of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Geneva, Switzerland. The incumbent will operate under the overall guidance of the Chief of the Human Rights Treaties Branch (HRTB) and direct supervision of the Chief of Anti-Torture, Capacity building, Coordination and Funds Section.
Within delegated authority, the Human Rights Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides Secretariat support to human rights treaty bodies as required.
- Conducts substantive research and analysis of human rights issues/events and assesses their impact on the human rights situation in assigned region or country.
- Participates in training activities on the work of treaty bodies.
- Drafts summaries of incoming complaints and inquiries, recommendations for decisions on interim measures of protection as well as final decisions on the merits of complaints.
- Carries out research into and drafts reports on the jurisprudence of the treaty bodies concerned and prepare legal analyses.
- Helps to ensure the consistency and the coherence of the jurisprudence of the treaty bodies and contribute to the continuous strengthening of the treaty bodies.
- Defines work plan for area assigned in accordance with established terms of reference.
- Represents UN human rights programme at working level meetings.
- Writes a variety of reports, communications, briefings, statements, etc., including to policy-making bodies.
- May provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.