Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Global Communications / Strategic Communication Division internship is for an initial period of three months with an opportunity for extension, but not to exceed six months, pending on the needs of the department. The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
This internship is located in the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Bogota, within the Information Centres Service (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD), Department of Global Communications (DGC).
UNICs are the principal sources of information about the United Nations system in the countries where they are located, they are also responsible for promoting greater public understanding of and support for the aims and activities of the United Nations by disseminating information on the work of the Organization to people everywhere, especially in developing countries.
Several different intern posts are available, and responsibilities include: work in public information. Daily responsibilities will therefore depend on the needs of the Centre, and will take into account the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
- Monitor the media for news stories of interest to the UNIC;
- Research, draft and/or update on-line content for the UN website and social media accounts in Colombia, with guidance from subject matter experts and relevant substantive focal points;
- Assist on media outreach, e.g distribution of press releases and other information materials to mass media and civil society organisations;
- Record video/radio interviews with UN agency spokespersons, local and national authorities, local communities, NGO Staff and Government Officials;
- Organize and maintain records of interview subjects and preparing material for final radio production following the storyboard;
- Determine and arrange all content, subject interviews, dates, times and locations;
- Provide all post-production supports, editing, mixing, transitions, etc.;
- Collaborate with UNIC staff and UN sister agencies to ensure proper oversight and supervision of all editorial decisions in production;
- Assist in organising activities for the UN Day and other Observances;
- Provide general office support (e.g. processing correspondence, maintaining files, records, and/or databases, organising meetings, taking meeting minutes, etc.);
- Assist with the production of journalistic content and news stories;
- Basic editing in Adobe Creative Suite (such as Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign);
- Perform other related duties, as required.