Food security and Nutrition and Sustainable Livelihoods are the core of two of the four pillars of the Plan of Action that shapes FAO’s assistance in the country. The objective of a country-level Food Security Cluster is to ensure a timely, coherent and effective food security response by mobilizing stakeholders to respond in a strategic manner to a humanitarian crisis. The Consultant will coordinate with WFP and other partners to ensure organizational preparedness, surge capacity and provide response to large-scale emergencies in the Syrian Arab Republic.
International Food Security/Cluster Coordination and IPC will report to the FAO Representative for Syria Office.
Tasks and responsibilities
The International Food Security/Cluster Coordination and IPC focal point will be responsible to provide expertise and managerial capacity for the food security and cluster coordination and IPC at country level.
The expert will, in particular, undertake the following activities:
- Provide expertise in food and nutrition security and information management to support FAO overall programme in Syria
- Co-lead the food and agriculture cluster with WFP and provide expertise to agriculture partner organizations involved in the cluster coordination
- Ensure that an efficient food and agriculture cluster partners regular and ad hoc coordination system is maintained
- Support FAO contribution to the formulation of emergency response plans for Syria led by OCHA
- Ensure appropriate links relevant stakeholders (partner organisations, ministry of agriculture, local authorities and others) is maintained to formulate FAO response to the cluster
- Ensure that FAO response to the sector is evidence based and guided by relevant assessments on the ground
- Support FAO regulars and ad hoc country level food security and information data collection (CFSAM, rapid food security assessments and others)
- Ensure links and coordination with other clusters such early recovery and nutrition to ensure coherence in FAO response for nutrition cluster
- Support FAO partner organizations and counterparts capacity building
- Provide expertise and develop a process to establish IPC at country level to support an efficient and evidence based food and nutrition security management in the country
- In close collaboration with all relevant stakeholders (WFP, UNICEF, NGOs, Ministry of Agriculture, FAO partner organisations and others) support the identification/ establishment of an IPC Technical Working Group in the country to ensure efficiency of the sector response to the crisis
- Supervise under his responsibility
- Liaise with the Regional Food and nutrition Security focal in RNE to ensure technical credibility, and consistency of the country level food security and IPC intervention
- Performance other duties as assigned